The Pomona Island Charitable Trust and the Department of Conservation plan to transfer sadddlebacks from Breaksea Island in Preservation Inlet to Rona Island on Lake Manapouri. ¬†The Leslie Hutchins Conservation Foundation has agreed to assist with funding this project. ¬†In return, the Leslie Hutchins Conservation Foundation has been given entitlements to two seats on the helicopter which will fly from Te Anau to Breaksea Island to pick up the birds and transfer them to Rona Island on Lake Manapouri. ¬†And two places on the recovery teams which will involve three nights and four days travelling by Department of Conservation boat from Doubtful Sound to Breaksea Island and assisting the ¬†Department of Conservation ¬†and ¬†Pomona Island Charitable Trust with capture of the birds .
Terms and conditions
- Timing ‚Äď The trans-location of the saddlebacks ¬†from Breaksea Island to Rona Island is expected to take place from 3-6 March 2013, however, the operation may be delayed due to circumstances beyond the Trust‚Äôs control e.g. the weather.¬† Should this occur participants will be given not less than 48 hours notice of rescheduling and not less than 48 hours notice of the scheduled date when it is established.
Participant criteria for boat based operation( Four days Duration from Te Anau)
- Undertake all activities at their own risk.
- Will assist Department of Conservation staff and other volunteers with set up work.
- Must have a high level of fitness.
- Must be capable of getting on and off a small inflatable craft.
- Must be capable of bashing through bush.
- Must be capable of walking across slippery boulders while carrying equipment.
- Must have suitable clothing and footware including tramping boots, waterproof parka and overtrousers, layers of warm clothing.
- Must provide their own day pack.
- Must complete DOC‚Äôs quarantine requirements in Te Anau before departing for Breaksea Island.
- Must inform the Trust of any medical conditions in advance.
- Will follow instructions of the relevant team leader at all times.
Participant criteria in the helicopter pickup( Duration 2 to 4 hours from Te Anau)
- Undertake the activity at their own risk.
- Must have an average level of fitness.
- Must be capable of getting in and out of the helicopter on rough ground.
- Must have suitable clothing and footware including tramping boots and waterproof parker, overtrousers, layers of warm clothing.
- Must complete DOC‚Äôs quarantine requirements in Te Anau before departure.